Sunday, July 6, 2014

Pic o' the Day #1300

I should really start numbering these so that I'll have some reference for future searches. So, counting up all the ones I've already posted on Facebook, this is roughly number 1300, starting from May 11th, 2010. I still need to figure out how to download all of those (with their captions) so that I can repost here and make it all searchable. If you have not already, please take a look at some of the older albums- starting with #1. You'll have to be a Facebook member to see these.

Anyways, here's a nice shot of a detail from the Villa of Poppaea at Oplontis (see yesterday's post for more info on the villa.) My guess is that this would be depicting some kind of funereal urn, but it's more the painted treatment that interests me. Look at how simple but effective and atmospheric the rendering of the gold top and leaves is, and the cast shadow on the cylinder adds so much dimension to the piece. As usual, the depiction of circles in perspective is well done, but inconsistent. The top and leaves are seen from underneath, and their shapes are appropriately rendered as ellipses, but the base is seen as dead on, although the plane it is sitting on appears to be seen from above. It's like they had thought about it, but just hadn't quite straightened out the details. 


No comments:

Post a Comment